SBMT Board Minutes
June 8, 2022
Started 7:04 pm
Board Members Present: Raiña Parks, Michael Hirsch, Jay Steele, Ed Hunter, Dan Singletary, Sharon Peng, Aly Suleman, Tipu Purkayastha, Jennifer Maggio, Steve Sammonds
Not Present: Doy Charnsupharindr,
Other members present: Jeffrey Henson, Doug Hughes, Sara Dean (ED)
ð Please note highlights of activities that Board can take, below. 😊
On the Town – We made it through! Kudos to those who stepped up!
Marketing and Social Media: (Doug Hughes)
- Designed logo for 60th anniversary season
- Reviewed Marketing Report
- Saw slight increase in all social media avenues
Facilities: Jeff Henson
- Needs to work on lights in breaks between other events in the rehearsal space
- Scene Shop renewed for one year
- Rehearsal Studio renewed until 2024
- Michael reached out to Karina Ridge, Executive Director at Intero Capital Markets re: new spaces for the set shop and rehearsal space
Technology: Dan Singletary
- SMBT Website Moved
- 5/23 Previous web host was Bluehost.com. It became extremely slow to totally unresponsive. Canceled Bluehost account on 6/6
- 5/24 Ported entire site moved over to Amazon Web Services account
- Cost comparable between Bluehost and AWS
- Venue updates
- Ed has been updating/improving the lighting system documentation
- May need to integrate information about the projectors and the Light systems
- Need to dust the light booth. Lots of dust from the stairway update
- Light system works well and we’ve set-up cost for rental/use by other groups.
- Consider dedicated position for a projection designer. Lots learned about projects with On The Town, including how projections are developed and designed. SBMT needs to develop the right talent for that role.
- Projections will be placed into a projection library similar to sound effects library
- Video animation can be incorporated as well
- Running projections is putting more of a load than Dan expected on the computer that is running the projector
Financial Update: (Reviewed charts from Jen Maggio)
- Jen is rolling off of the board and working to wrap things up in anticipation of handing off role and responsibilities
- Membership meeting – New date needed (June 24 – probably at 7:30pm)
- Board Elections
- Retiring board members
- Charnsupharindr, Doy
- Maggio, Jennifer
- Parks, Raiña
- Peng, Sharon
- Steele, Jay
- Anticipate completion of the elections by June 24.
- Barbara to send Doug info regarding the Board Members
- Plan to introduce new board members at the membership meeting
- [ACTION] Chairs of the sub-committees to provide slide to be briefed at the Membership meeting
- Concern raised that, with current slate, we skew slight more male presenting than female presenting
- Michael will ensure that guidance on meeting interactions and inclusion are part of the understanding of the new board
Executive Artistic Director Updates:
- Looks like we will break even for On The Town with sells of (59% of available tickets)
- Largest overages: Set construction (materials), Dir/CoChoreo & SM Salaries
- Largest savings: Royalties, Programs, cast & crew per diem
- Cost of Covid total = $4,500 + loss of income ($7500-$8000)
- AB5, Covid & Employees
- Actual hours of SM and Director are far more than we know as relates to prep time required.
- Cost of and management of musicians and their salaries/reimbursement are being evaluated
eStudio Programming & Workshops:
- Youth Programs
- Discussed work that Lysander is doing re: afterschool program and how we should consider compensating him.
Community, Inclusivity & Accountability
- No updates
- Discussed the importance of our Youth programming arm and the CIA’s role in helping with that. Our (potential) motto – Positive experiences & creating through the arts!
Development & Fundraising:
- Current Activities
- Encourage membership to make monthly donations
- One sponsor already signed up to sponsor 2023 Anniversary Event (thanks Kama & Sara!)
- Succession planning being worked.
- Saratoga Theater Arts – possibility to go in and give presentations and pull in some engagement among young folks. Seems to be a good fit with SBMT.
Vision & Planning:
- No updates
- Sara would like to have a brainstorming session for Youth engagement and making connections with schools for afterschool programs
- Discussed some plans re Company
- Commuting cost and how we might compensate for that (i.e. reimburse for tolls)
- Clipper pass/Public transit stipend?
- Discussed providing food to the talent
Adjourned at 9:28 pm.
Respectfully submitted June 8, 2022 by Raina Parks