SBMT Board Minutes
April 13, 2022
Started 6:06 pm
Board Members Present: Barbara Heninger, Jay Steele, Steve Sammonds, Dan Singletary, Raiña Parks, Tipu Purkayastha, Michael Hirsch, Aly Suleman,
Not Present: Jennifer Maggio, Doy Charnsupharindr, Ed Hunter, Sharon Peng, Doug Hughes (Marketing)
Other members present: Sara Dean (ED)
ð Please note highlights of activities that Board can take, below. 😊
- Tech booth stairs are almost done. Doors being varnished and having hardware put on them.
- Added shelving in the box office and re-did a few things
- Working on projectors. There is a really annoying flickering problem. Occurs every 30 minutes or so and would disrupt a show.
- Piano is being delivered on Friday early in the morning.
- Board meeting in May rescheduled for May 18th.
- Membership meeting is on May 21st.
- Participated in the Blossom Festival this weekend. We got quite a few entries for a contest to win two tickets for on-the-town. Lots of entrants and interest.
- Broadway in Love post that caused a stir. Didn’t follow our process, was not sent to Sara before being passed to marketing. What was presented had a very clear lack of representation and was confusing. Currently cast by invitation and going forward will be cast by open audition.
- We’re in board recruitment season! SBMT wants you!
Budget for 2022-2023:
- Reviewed for the coming season.
- Decision to table the vote on this budget until next month as there is no rush to approve today.
- Not as much participation in #actorlife workshop.
Community, Inclusivity, & Accountability: (update from Aly)
- Discussion about incident re: press release for Broadway in Love and casting concerns.
- Discussed proposal that the team make a running list of guidelines and criteria for casting which embraces community inclusivity.
- Request from members of the board and the ED that the CIA team help more with recruiting diverse actors/musicians/dancers to SBMT productions
Development and Fundraising:
- Next meeting June 7th
- Completed brokerage account, how to donate options on Website, updated tickets for changed concert and performances
- 60th Anniversary Celebration 2023
- WANTED: Committee leaders & members
- All board members will be involved. Areas needing help include:
- Silent auction/donor/sponsor management
- Food & beverage & schmoozing
- Fundraising – Looking for event and program sponsorships
Organization and Development:
- Mentorship/apprenticeship/talent development
- Foothill/DeAnza humanities program funds interns with their own grants (did not receive any interested candidates)
- Will discuss facilities overhead reduction and will discuss at next meeting
Vision & Planning:
No meeting since March 2nd.
Executive Artistic Director Updates:
- On The Town – working on this production
- Had a cast member test positive so weekend of rehearsals was cancelled. Did not spread to the rest of the cast
- Concern about next year and doing big shows given rising COVID cases
- Volunteer Needs
- April 16: Scenic Painting & Set Build
- April 22 – Load In
- April 23 & 24: Build days
Continued discussion about the Broadway in Love concert press and concerns from the BIPOC communities and Allies.
- Discussed a response from the board and proper forum and format.
Adjourned at 9:03 pm.
Respectfully submitted April13, 2022 by Raina Parks